Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Sad little Soxes

The pinstripers had a much-needed off day Monday, and take on the Indians tonight at home.

I forgot there was no game last night, so when I tuned in, a Yankees classic was just starting. I don’t do “classic.” If I saw the game, great. If I didn’t, as a much as I love baseball, I’m not going to spend three hours watching a game that may have happened 30 years ago.

In a fit of madness, I switched over to NESN, thinking I might watch the Sawx and Tiggers. I spent all of about three minutes there. The first commercial that came on during the break before the first pitch was for NESN HD, celebrating the greatness that is the Red Sox - Sox highlights flashed by, and then ... a Joe Torre-led Yankees team. The caption and I’m paraphrasing here: NESH HD: Where pinstripes don’t mean greatness.

Is this necessary? The Sox have enjoyed two World Series wins in the last three seasons. The teams have been, and will be competing for the title for many years to come. And yet ... and yet the Sox and Red Sox fans still can’t focus on what their team has accomplished. They live in the past. It’s 2-0 in the new millenium. Celebrate it, savor it. But no, you sully it by putting the Yankees in your own commercials, unable to break the inferiority complex you’ve lived with for so long.

It’s so sad. So sad.

3 comments:

Phil Orbe said...

Didn't the Yanks refer to their fan base as "Yankee Universe" and have a guy in the space shuttle "throw" out the first pitch to a game? It seems Hank is suffering from a little Sox envy.

Hapi for Papi said...

So Mr. Meo, you decide to indict a whole 'nation' for a decision that the powers that be at NESN make in regards to their commercials. If their intent was to get a rise out of yankee fans tuning in to their broadcasts they sure did a good job wouldn't you say? Pretty sad, hum?

John Meo said...

I suppose I should be happy someone responded to this thing, although Phil, I'm not sure you count, as my Sox counterpart.

Hank has bigger problems to worry about. And yes, the shuttle thing was the pinacle of self-importance. Maybe the Red Sox can respond by having someone throw out the first pitch from Mars.

I keep wishing this whole rivalry thing will disappear, along with the Steinbrenners, but nothing so far. My mother-in-law says you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one looks like a pile of Red Sox fans ... no wait, that's not how she said it ...

Hapi, I like how you conveniently turned my point around on me. Is the whole "Nation" as quick whitted when it's sober? :)

Still, I seriously doubt NESN assumes Yankees fans will tune in, so I have to disagree this was their intent.

Happily, and rightfully, at least YES no longer refers to itself as "The Home of Champions." That was irritating and inaccurate at best.