Friday, August 7, 2009

We're 1-8, we're 1-8!

I remember being told in Little League, you always slide. Umpires would tell us, slide or you're out.

So, I wonder if Jorge Posada ever got that message. Jorge clearly had no idea what Melky, properly positioned and doing his job as the on-deck hitter, was telling him to do.

Furiously waving and pointing at the ground? While I'm running toward the plate and the crowd is going bonkers? What could you possibly mean?

That's an inexcusably lazy mental lapse on Posada's part.

Still rolling up 13 runs against the hated Red Sox is a good thing. The Red Sox are a shadow of the team they were at the beginning of the season, and I think it's a foregone conclusion the Yanks should and would win this opener against Smoltz.

It's a shame, really. The guy still looks like he knows what he's doing, but that nasty stuff he used to have is just a fraction off, and it's obvious.

Tonight, I expect A-Rod to get beaned. Maybe twice, after the Pedroia incident. Up 13-4, I doubt it was on purpose. With Josh Beckett and AJ Burnett, things could get interesting real quick.

No comments: