Thursday, August 27, 2009

Celebrity spotting

Well, now we know who can afford the seats right behind home plate at Yankee Stadium: Jack Nicholson, Lorne Michaels and Paul McCartney - and the 20-something-year-old candy on his arm, who, by the way, dances like me.

That's an odd trio, discounting the female, and I wonder if it just so happened they all showed up, unaware of the others' plan, or, you know, Lorne called Jack, or Paul called Lorne ... It's highly unlikely Jack calls anyone. When you're that call, people call you and you decide who you'll grace with the presence.

I've seen Tracy Morgan - and some people I assume were with him - in those seats, which makes me wonder, additionally, how exactly you get them.

Anyway, we see the difference, again, between a pitcher and Joba Chamberlain. Andy Pettitte isn't exactly gassing batters, but he gets outs when and how he needs them, ahead in the count or behind. Two on, no out, here's a roller to third for a DP and he'll finish the inning with a strikeout.

Unfortunately, Pettitte picked up win No. 189 last night, putting him in third place in Yankees history. He should be No. 1, by far. Nothing against Whitey Ford, but Pettitte wasted a chance to solidify his place in Yankees lore. Still I expect he'll be around at least another season, which should see him eclipse 200 wins in pinstripes. I hope he gets there.

No comments: