Saturday, July 18, 2009

Maybe I'm wrong

I read an interesting article in SI this week, about Earl Weaver and how he set the ground work for "Moneyball" and sabremetrics, the brainchild of Dr. Evil, I mean Bill James. James, for those who don't know, is the modern pioneer of stat-sdriven baseball, the philosophy of no bunting, no steal attempts, matchups, OBP/OPS, etc etc.

I hate this sort of baseball. Specifically because I witnessed a less-talented 2003 Marlins team beat the Yankees in the World Series with speed and sacrifices ... oh, and Josh Beckett, who pitched, it seemed, every excruciating inning of every excruciating game.

But after last night, maybe I need to change my thinking. I prefer smart, hustle baseball, but maybe the Yanks just can't play that way. I'm beginnning to question whether they ever did.

I witnessed a one-out, first and second situation get erased by baseball's most over-rated player because he thought a line drive HIT RIGHT AT THE SECOND BASEMAN was going through. He was almost standing on second when the fourth tenor caught it. And Ass-Rod just hung his head and touched second. Ooops. A Little Leaguer knows to freeze on a line drive. Coaches screamed at my teams for years "make sure the ball goes through."

I watched the Yankees turn a lead-off double into Jorge Posada getting thrown at at home on a two-out single to left, because at that point, you have to send the tying run home and make the other team get the out. Posada was out by 20 feet.

Then Mark Teixeira hits a three-run home run in the seventh and everyone forgets the Yankees should have lost ... because the Yankees are dumb, but boy, can they hit homeruns.

So, from now on, forget first to third on a single to right, I'm cheering for three-run homeruns.

And I'm cheering for Phil Hughes ... who's doing what Joba should be doing. Feels pretty good, right Phil? Keep up the good work.

No comments: