Tuesday, April 7, 2009

No time for blog, Dr. Jones

Spring Training Yankees had me excited for Opening Day, but for some reason, the Orioles always, always give me that “so me on the doll where he touched you” discomfort.

No matter what the Yankees do, the O’s give them fits, and you just expect something stupid/bad to happen.

To that end, I present exhibits A and B:

C.C. Sabathia can’t throw a fastball for a strike. Two wild pitches in the first inning?

Mark Teixeira was lustily booed, which was pretty funny, especially with the Imperial March music in the background. What wasn’t funny was the weak grounders and pops he offered for Yankees fans.

Obviously, they’re pressing. They’ll say they aren’t ...

Exhibit C: Johnny Damon playing a double into a home run.

I understand baseball is 162 games. But for a moment, I felt this was 2008, and these Yankees were that bumbling group of underachievers.

When Nick Swisher doubled to lead-off the eighth and Brett Gardner moved him along, I thought “this is the kind of baseball we need.” Then Jeter rolled out to short and Damon ... you know, at that point, I was playing Gears of War 2, so I’m not sure what happened.

Obviously, I’m in mid-season form.

OK, so, it’s a long season ... the Yankees have good pitching. A solid lineup, speed, a pretty good bench.

Deep breath ... they’ll win 90. I just hope that’s good enough.

No comments: