Tuesday, September 30, 2008

This is the end ...

The Yankees had 89 wins this season. They should have picked up their 90th win against the Red Sox cast of minor leaguers on the final day the regular season. But who cares, what another blow to the pinstripes’ collective dignity?

The Yanks went 8-2 in their last 10. Those 89 wins were good enough for first place in two other divisions in baseball, the American League Central and the National League West, but let’s face it, that’s a glorified AAA conference.

I can’t say here what probably hasn’t been said already. So I won’t bother. I’ll just bid farewell to the 2008 season and hope the Yankees spend wisely this season. I’ll conclude with my partial wish list for next season:

1. Five healthy starters. I’m not wishing for one guy or another. I’d prefer Sabathia, but I’m leery of his work load and healthy. AJ Burnett is too big a risk, so too is Ben Sheets. The Yankees don’t need an ace, they have Chien-Ming Wang. They need guys to take the ball every fifth day and give them quality innings. You just don’t know what the AL East will do to a pitcher.

2. Patience at the plate. The Yankees strike out too much. They won so often because of clutch hits. Yes, some were home runs, but piling up doubles and singles does more to demoralize a team than one or two bombs. Those just look good on TV.

3. Giambi, out. There’s much talk about how important he is to the clubhouse. That can’t be as important as when he fields a sure-bet double-play grounder and heaves it into the the upper deck in left field.
Pavano, out. I thought for sure he would hurt himself congratulating Mike Mussina on win No. 20.
Matsui back as the everyday DH (for about half as much).
Posada should play first, but he won’t. It makes sense for his health, his longevity. But whatever, having him behind the plate isn’t awful. Molina will be back as the backup.
So then, someone who can field at first base - but looking at who’s available, I’m not inspired. I wonder if Juan Miranda gets a shot.

4. It’s an odd season for A-Rod, so he should hit 45 to 50 home runs. Not holding my breath on this one. Otherwise, I think he may get pelted with batteries.

No comments: