Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Moose has nine wins

I'm conflicted. Does the C.B. in C.B. Buckner stand for Certifiably Blind or Complete Bull? I suppose either could apply. I don't like blaming the umps for much, but he cost Mike Mussina a chance to go deeper into his start, a 5-1 six inning win against the Jays. Buckner's strikezone was worse than erratic, a nightmare for a pitcher with Mussina's stuff.

Congrats to Derek Jeter. He moved into third place all time on the Yankees hit list, passing Mickey Mantle. That is some heady company Jeter is now keeping. He's behind only Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth. It's fascinating, but you see those names, Gehrig, Ruth, Mantle, and it's as if they're storybook characters, legends who exist only in the imagination, but I've seen nearly every game Jeter has played, he's real, his career is something I've lived, like my dad living through Mantle's. It's nice to be a part of that, nice to know I can look back and say that really happened, this career was lived by someone who was flesh and blood and I saw it all.

Mo Rivera has given up one run and two walks this season. His 0.36 ERA went down. Again.

No comments: