Wednesday, September 2, 2009

He's mavericky

While I'm pretty sure CB Buckner has the most erratic strike zone in MLB, Angel Hernandez, at least last night, had the biggest.

Jorge Posada was punched out on a riding fastball that started middle-out, about mid-shin and ended low and away. Mark Teixeira was punched out on a middle-in fastball that crossed about letter high. It was bizarre to watch and probably baffling to hitters accustomed to taking book strikes for balls.

Questec has infiltrated all MLB parks. I'm all for a standard strike zone, I just haven't seen one, and I don't think a group of humans can provide the sort of consistency league brass wants. You either computerize the zone, which I think no one wants, or you simply accept umpires have their interpretations of the zone and you live with them and adjust from game to game. The fact is umpires are right most of the time, it's just that with replays and slo-mo, the times they aren't become magnified and repeated and discussed and analyzed. The thing that seems to be overlooked is the strike is called where the ball crosses, not where it lands in the catcher's glove.

You know that scene at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," when the spirits are flying around, melting Nazi faces? And Indy and Marion are safe because they keep their eyes closed? No, I know it didn't make sense ... anyway, I made the mistake of reading a handful of comments posted to the gamer story on mlb.com. My face didn't melt, but I'm pretty sure my soul withered a little. Wow. Just. Wow.

No comments: