Friday, May 29, 2009

The Tao of Suck

It was naive, I know, but I thought only Red Sox people produced, bought or wore "Yankees suck" T-shirts. I think Patrick O'Patrick of Revere actually copyrighted the "Yankees suck" chant.

While I've always been impressed by how witty, how poignant that phrase was, I never found it offensive. What's offensive is someone wearing the shirt, and being told they couldn't. Apparently this happened to a woman attending a Rangers/Yankees game this week in Arlington.

Texas is part of America, right? Still? I know, you don't mess with Texas, or at least Texas security guards. The Rangers said it was a policy created by their fans. Which ones? Do they wear jackboots and gray stormcoats?

I remember having, and wearing, a handful of those Big Johnson T-shirts during my high school years. They were just as stupid. But according to at least one guy in a pizzeria, "they were the reason it was so hard to raise daughters." You see the connection. Incidentally, my mom shredded his face.

Look people, it's just a shirt. Your right to dictate what I, or anyone else wants to wear, ends at the edge of you skull. Or at least it should. So, shut up, calm down, and remove the self-righteous stick from thine rear.

There's even YankeesSuck.com . Go figure. Or was. It hasb't been updated in two years.


It's tough to combat such airtight logic. And stunning presentation.

No comments: